Yes, I made a casserole. In fact, I was craving a casserole. Go figure. Anyway, finding a recipe that does not have condensed cream of mushroom soup is the key. I searched the interwebs and here is my recipe based on one that I found. It is surprisingly tasty, and I am really looking forward to the leftovers!
Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Boil 8 oz. of fusilli pasta and drain.
- Saute in 3 T. of butter 1/2 an onion, 2 cloves of garlic, and two stalks of celery till tender. Add salt and pepper.
- To the veggies, add 3 T. of flour and cook for a few minutes. Add two cups of whole milk and cook until thick.
- To the sauce, add the pasta, 1 cup thawed peas, and 1 can drained tuna. Pour into a greased baking dish.
- On top of the casserole, sprinkle about 1/2 cup jack cheese, 3 T. panko mixed with 2 T. melted butter, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for a half hour, and finish by browning under the broiler for a few minutes.